Anyone else love mushrooms? They are not just tasty and satisfying but good for us too! Here are my top 5 reasons to love the humble mushroom:
- They are low in calories- always good for the waistline!
- Like humans, mushrooms produce vitamin D when exposed to sunlight. They are the only vegetable source of this vitamin.
- They are high in anti-oxidants, normally the territory of brightly coloured fruit and veg.
- They have loads of vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin).
- They are an excellent source of iron.
Mushrooms are great in all sorts of dishes and be a really good alternative to meat. I particularly love these Portabello mushrooms stuffed with Chilli and topped with cheese. They really are delicious and perfect if you are cutting back on carbs.
Chilli is one of my favourite foods and I may be biased but I do think my recipe is rather special. I’m happy to share it with you lovely people if you want to give it a try. Use it in the mushrooms and any leftovers will be perfect on a baked potato or over nachos with some sour cream, salsa, guacamole, jalapeños and grated cheese.
To make the chilli stuffed mushrooms, just make my chilli recipe below (these work just as well with bolognese sauce), remove the stalks from the mushrooms, fill with chilli and top with grated cheese. Bake in the oven for around 20-30 mins until the cheese is golden and bubbling.