As a devotee of the many merits of coconut oil, I try to use in in lots of different ways. Its pretty good in puddings but I particularly like it in savoury dishes.
I created this Macademia crusted salmon dish for a family lunch and I was delighted by how well in worked. The combination of salmon, macademia nuts, coconut oil, basil and lemon was really fresh and tasty with a lovely combination of textures. People were convinced that it was a parmesan cheese crust on top of the salmon which delighted me as cheese is my all time favourite ingredient, transforming any dish. To have made a healthy alternative is a big win for me!
I first tasted macademia nuts on a visit with friends to a coffee plantation in Zimbabwe where they grew them amongst the coffee plants. I fell in love with them straight away but could never find them in shops. They are readily available these days and although they are pricey, they are delicious. You could substitute the macademias for a cheaper nut but I love them in this dish!
This is so easy to make and I will definitely be making it again. If you want to give it a go, here is what you will need:
· Side of salmon (you can use fillets if you prefer)
· 200g of Macademia nuts
· 3tbsps Vita Coco coconut oil
· Zest of half a lemon
· Juice of half a lemon
· Bunch of basil leaves
· A few grinds of black pepper and sea salt
· Preheat an oven to 180C
· Place the oil, nuts, lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, salt and pepper in a food processor
· Blitz together until well combined with a crumbly texture. Make sure to leave some big nutty lumps and don’t over blend or it will turn into a nut butter
· Oil a baking tray with some coconut oil and place the salmon on top
· Pack the mixture onto the fillets ensuring an even spread
· Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes (you may need a bit longer depending on the size of your salmon side)
· Remove from the oven and serve immediately
This recipe is an entry into the #Swearbyit challenge with Vita Coco. Find more great coconut oil recipes and tips on using coconut oil at www.swearbyit.com